Monday, September 08, 2003

Projectward Ho...

Hi, Its been a while and I've been tied up a lot with my stupid project. This weekend it will be delivered to the customer. Irrespctive of whether I'll be released from it or retained for the 1 month warranty, I hope the work pressure to come back to normal over the next week. Amidst all the hurdles I faced in the project - both attitude-wise and otherwise... a few things this has taught me - What it means to have a "work stress". I'm reminded of all the stress management workshops where we had skits and other performances on how to handle stress. It was such great fun doing all that stuff in college days.. but facing it is altogether a different matter. Its a test of nerves, as I see it. Another aspect I've learnt... my usual dept is the R&D unit (called SETLabs, as u might know)... where its only research that happens and very little interaction with the customers.. if at all we interact with customers, it would be for some requirement analysis or consulting and never for any kind of delivery work. But project is an entirely different thing. The moment u have someone called customer to deal with, it no longer remains the conventional 9-5 job. As we've learnt "Customer is King... (and blah..blah..)".. Now I know why he is the king... and how he has to be treated. Third point... Leadership... my PL at SETLabs is a person who takes utmost care of his words and would make sure, he get things done in the kindest possible way.. but still make it clear that he means business... But it was the other extreme in the project... I would rate the project's PL 4/10 on leadership qualities while rate my PL 8/10. And I learnt a lot of things here too... I remember a quote that I used in one of Mr.Raja G'swamy's class.. "If u want to be good, u have to know what is not good".. in similar lines, I learnt how just a little way of speaking demoralizes the entire team.. I learnt all about what a leader should not do.. coz I was the one suffering... Its been a really hard struggle for me over the last 2.5 months or so in this project.. its not over yet... but atleast not a very long way to go (hopefully)...

No comments: