Thursday, July 31, 2003

On education...

It is a well-known fact that education is becoming costlier and costlier everyday. Commercialization of education is rampant. I could rant on and on... Everyday I listen to FM radio, the RJ would ask a telephone caller (if he is a student, what he would like to be. The answer would a default - doctor or engineer.I have never ever heard another reply, excepting an odd collector.) Why?... Because our society places a high premium on these so-called professionals. So everyone is really willing to pay whatever it takes to become one. And when people are willing, who would let go of an opportunity to make a buck or two? In the end who suffers? People like you and me (like Manny said). Oops! I forgot about the students. they are really a pitiable group. They spend so much on getting a professional qualification while losing out on thier education. How else could they pay thier debts other than turn to fleecing people out of thier money. The next time I hear someone say thier child wants to become an engineer or a doctor, I am surely gonna give them a piece of my mind. But it would be wrong to compare our education with the ones in Europe and US. There people know that they have to know something else in addition to thier professional qualifications. That is what that makes them be on top. During the recent dotcom burst, we in India cry hoarse over the nr. of s/w pros sent out. How did the average US s/w pro fired at the same time take it? He would have gone out searching for any knick-knack jobs that came his way till the tide turned. How did he bear things out? Because he might have learned it from childhood that education alone doesn't count in life. I guess you might know what counts here more. Bye for now.

No comments: