Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Are you afraid?

I want this blog to be closed for non MSITMians.
Hey wait a minute. Who said something about this blog being only for msitmmbians? I never mentioned it when the blog was started. Did anyone else specifically mention that this was only for msitmmbians? I don't think so. I just checked the archives. I found no body saying that this is a limited membership blog.
I am not participating just because the topic is interesting and the discussion is good. But because it is we discussing good topics.
Bala, if this is the core reason for your objection, I guess you might have selective amnesia. We have a group called msitmmb for discussing. We have had discussions in them in the past. So why don't we continue using it. The members are limited to only those who had studied M.S. (IT&M) between 2000 and 2002 at Madurai Kamaraj University. It is everything you want except of course the participation part. Why do you need a blog when you have a group? The raison d'etre for this blog is to be a medium where everyone can post thier views and be subjected to criticism/praises. Since a blog is put onto the Internet, everyone has the right to praise or criticise it. I hope you understand what I am speaking about. It works quite wonderfully. Let me give an example. A few months ago, I posted a link to a CSS House. The designer had mailed me saying that I had projected misleading information. I said that I may be right and sent him a few screenshots. Accordingly, he used the screenshots to improve his design. That is what the web is about - improving people and lives. I recall having telling a few of you that I have been getting mails from several people asking me to enroll them in the blog. These people were not from msitmmb. I have had requests from U.K., U.S., even one from South Africa and Australia, other than India. The people seem to be interested in joining the blog and participating. At first, I had my doubts about them. But on frequent correspondence with them over a period of time, I found that the blog would do great with them participating. I recall a mail I had sent to the 'msitmmb' group. I used the following words (with special emphasis):
"If you want to become a member, the only requisite is 'active' participation. The blogger group is not a form of elite group where only a few are welcome."
Everyone agreed to it, if I remember. Now what happened to you? Selective Amnesia?
If we had no faults, we should not take such pleasure in calling attention to other people’s. - Francois La Rochefoucauld
Incidentally, reading of what a few of you had to say about Rini posting a few of Srini's comments. I feel that what you say is not appropriate. I had posted quite a few citations and quotations like the one above. So do you object saying that I am using someone's observations, instead of my own? Can someone clarify this point? So let me be clear on a few points.
  1. The blog was never meant to be only for msitmmbians. Those who want to cater to only a select few like your classmates, please use the msitmmb or mail them individually. Do not post it here.
  2. Since the blog is on the Internet, I feel anyone has the right to complain/congratulate anything being said on the blog. If you cannot stomach that thought, it is your problem, not some one else's.
  3. Everyone has the right to substantiate what they say. The sources can be from anywhere,from websites, books, other people (both living and dead), as long as they cite the source and do not alter it to suit thier purpose.
Since I brought up this issue in the first place, I did it in the hope of improving everyone. I never thought a few had this idea of the blog being a elite group. They may not know what they are missing out. because there are things you never knew you never knew. I don't know if the blog has helped anyone else. But it surely helped me in understanding quite a lot of things. I expect it to do so in the future too. I don't want to enclose myself within a small limited circle. I want to reach out to the world. A blog is a wonderful tool to do so. That was one of the reasons why I started "Quod scripsi scripsi". I am not afraid of being criticised for my thoughts, my ideas. I can accept it from anyone. That is why I have enabled comments in that blog. The question is "Are You Afraid?"

No comments: