Friday, January 09, 2004

a treat to watch

A decade old dream was about to come true, A four year craving about to be satisfied. I shifted my weight to position my body better in the chair. The room was dark. As the screen began to clear from black, I was high. The music, haunting yet uplifting filled my ears. The next three hours was the ride of my life, my emotions riding a rollercoaster. At the end, I felt as if I had lost a good companion. 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' - Seems to be a lofty pompous name for the title of a movie. The book was a wonderfully scripted work of art. The movie went one better. It brought the book to life. There are critics who say that Peter Jackson has taken some liberties with the book in the movie. They always say that. Even personally, I was disappointed by the absence of Christopher Lee as Saruman. Setting those things apart, LOTR:ROTK was a rich feast. A feast for everyone. There was quite a lot of technical wizardry behind each frame in the movie. The locations were a treat to watch. It is difficult to believe that places like these really exist. The extensive sets, especially Minas Tirith was breathtaking. The characterisation were so beautiful. The transformation of Smegol into Gollum, which formed the introduction, was just a prelude to what was to come. The beautiful picturisation of the The battle sequences, Osilogarth and the siege of Minas Tirith were not as long as the battle of Helm's Deep in TTW. Yet they were a showcase of amazing battle scenes. The yearning of Eowyn for Aragorn was subdued in the movie, but Tolkien's strongest woman character was just reduced to mouthing insipid dialogues and brandishing a pretty little sword. The funnny thing about the movie was that the bad guys were not given any importance. They just came and left without much ado. The scene where Faramir goes to battle against all odds was touching, but the sub-plot was jarring. The music score by James Horner was totally amazing. Must try to get the soundtrack of the movie. This movie is definitely worth watching more than a couple of times. Totally I was satisfied with the trilogy, not like the Matrix trilogy. The movies were enhanced by technology, not dependent on it like the Matrix trilogy. I have planned on taking a day off and watching the LOTR trilogy back to back. Go and see it. I wonder what Tolkien would have said if he could see his beloved Middle Earth come to life in the movies.

No comments: