Saturday, December 27, 2003

Christmas this year

Travelling has always fascinated me. Being surrounded by people gives me a lot of opportunities to watch them, learn about them. Spending quite some time with your fellow passengers can be irritating as well as interesting. Your co-passengers fellow passengers can make or break your journey. My journey to Madurai was uneventful. On getting into the bus, I saw one of my sanguinal cousins in the bus. Ok, I have company. He said he was going home. OK, I thought, atleast I have his company for three-quarters of the way. I was wrong. He went off to sleep immediately as we crossed the city limits. The in-bus movie was horrible. I had seen it earlier. So I decided to rest. But the noise from the movie was too loud. Finally after a four and half hours and two movies later, I reached Madurai. Reaching home, I found that everyone had left for the midnight mass. I decided to go to the mass, but it was halfway though. I could hear the clear voice of the priest reach my ears. Sitting down on the steps awaiting the arrival of relatives, I had a few mosquitoes for company. An hour and a half later, they arrived. The next few hours were spent in exchange of pleasantries and information. Morning saw me get up and go to Christmas Mass. Came home to have Breakfast. Everyone decided to watch a movie. Watched a typical masala film, 'Winner'. By the time, the movie was over, lunch was ready. A heavy lunch followed up by another movie, "Allaudin" saw me get to late evening. Nephews wanted to burst crackers, and so we did. Got hold of a camera. Spent time shooting fireworks and crackers. Got a close look at the new moon. After the fireworks, decide to blog it all and went in search of a internet centre. Could find one. So just went to Philo & Shantha's house to wish them. Spent some time there exchanging notes. Dei Ram, they asked me to convey thier congratulations to you. Due to a confidential agreement, I am unable to post what we discussed. Anyway it was good to spend sometime with friends again. The next day, Boxing Day, cricket match at MCG. Saw Sehwag hit a century before hurrying to the campus as usual by auto. The auto drivers near Fatima College have decided to have a photo of me as thier patron. I get salutes from them everytime I go to Madurai. Good to see customer care being practised by automen. I met Kicha at Campus. spent sometime at the railway station discussing a lot of things from marriage to friends. We then went to Jayaram Bakery for Kicha's treat. Didn't eat much there. After a couple of hours, we parted on our separate ways. Spent time at home in frot of the computer, playing with nephews and chatting with cousins. Caught the evening bus to Coimbatore. Had a lovely girl, (name : Anu) sitting across the aisle. Faded in and out of sleep watching another couple of horrible movies in the bus. I reached home after a lonely trudge in the dark. Went to sleep immediately. These two days brought out a new vigour into my life after quite sometime. Travelling always does this. It invigorates me. I only wish I could travel a lot more.

No comments: