Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Hi everyone, Just finished reading Vijay Babu's mail. Phew! I started to read at 8:30. Read through it a couple of times to understand it. I pray he would not be writing such mails when he joins us on the blog. I know Vijay was right in pointing out that I jumped the gun before the votes of the poll were decided. Now I feel like hitting myself for not following my own rules. BTW: My friend's wedding went on fine, if you discount the following factors: A total power shutdown lasting the entire day. (Power didn't comeback till we left at 9:30 pm) The generator broke down. It got eventually fixed. Then it gave up at 8:30 just as we were having dinner. It was a wonderful experience, eating in the dark. I had two extra servings in the dark. The wedding mass was to be in English. But when it started, it was in Tamil. Everyone was shocked. Afterwards learnt that it was due to some instant decision taken by the priests. The singing was average for our standards considering the fact that we had only three mikes for a dozen of us, that too very bad ones. You have to literally insert them into your mouths to makee yourself heard. No-one had got over the shock of hearing the mass in Tamil. To add more interesting twists, the priests suddenly started saying a few prayers in English and then in Tamil. Totally, the whole mass was a mixture of English, Tamil and Latin (we sung a few songs in Latin). A truly international mass. Everyone felt very bad over these issues. I really felt sorry for my friend the bride. An once-in-a-lifetime occasion marred by blithering, blasted nincompoops. I really didn't know whom to blame. After all this what to do, just trudged along with my friends to buy a gift. If Coimbatore could be so hot and stuffy at 8 pm, I really feel sorry for those in Chennai and Madurai. We bought a nice shiny brass candlestick at Poompuhar (the khadi showroom, similar to one opp. Madurai Raliway station). I wanted to buy two of them so that they make a set. but others wanted to buy something else. So we bought a wooden carving of a fisherman and his wife. It came around 500 bucks. Got it giftwrapped. As the gift could not be given just like that, I thought of getting a card, but no shop was open. So I got a sheet of paper. After wracking my mind for a few moments, I recalled a wedding blessing. Sinduja might remember it. It is written on the back of her photo, given to her on her wedding by us. It is an Apache wedding blessing. After this, went to have dinner at the reception hall. Posed for the usual photos twice, once with my mom and dad and again with the choir. The lights went off as mentioned earlier during dinner. After seeing off the choir members leave, made my way back home and realized that i didn't have the keys to my house. My brother had one key (he was at the wedding reception) and my parents had the other (they had gone to visit my aunt). Sat outside the house for an hour, feel asleep a couple of times on teh doorstep itself. Finally, my brother came, went straight to bed. Back at work today morning, Found a lot of materials to be typed into documents. Thank god for the OCR technology, just scanned everything into documents. I have to check them for typos, Bye for now, Jax.

No comments: